Friday, November 23, 2012

Why Are White Birds Becoming the Most Popular?


The other day, I went into a pet store because I was looking for something to write on the topic of pet birds. As I was talking to the pet store owner, a local well-known business person, in fact, I can vouch for Sam, we've even worked on some local community projects together. We got to talking about the cost for caring for a large bird, such as an African gray. He explained to me that the new thing was that people wanted birds which were white in color.

He wasn't sure what the fascination was, although he did say that white little designer dogs and white cats are also on the request list, and there are fewer at the pound, as they generally get adopted quickly as well. I told him a theory that the CEO of BMW had mentioned in the Wall Street Journal. He called it the "Apple Affect" and that people were buying white BMWs to match their Apple iPhones, and other products. He laughed, and said he wouldn't be surprised.

Interestingly enough, I did meet someone last month at Starbucks, and she had bought a cover for her Apple iPad. Then she mentioned that all of her wardrobe now contained that same color, it's even painted her fingernails and toenails to match. It seems, that white is in, even for pet birds. The problem is due to supply and demand, many of the very colorful parrots are not selling so well, people want the white ones, therefore the price has risen. Sam told me it wasn't his fault, his costs had also gone up, so he had to pass those costs on to the consumer.

He showed me a white parrot, boy was it beautiful, he said; "this bird has already been sold," and the parents said; "I am sold, I am sold." Wow I thought, that's pretty funny, and it turns out that one of the girls who works there taught the parrot to say that because people kept asking how much it was. And then the parrot said; "look over there, look over there." And sure enough, there were other birds on the next row, also for sale, birds which had not been sold yet.

This is why white pet birds are becoming the most popular right now, and Sam wasn't sure how long that trend would last, previously they were not in such high demand. Indeed I hope you will please consider all this and think on it if you are shopping for a pet bird.




0 comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Français Deutsch Italiano Português
Español 日本語 한국의 中国简体。